Friday 1 September 2017

Dual flavour Golden Sponge Cake 双色黄金蛋糕

I have bookmarked this recipe for a long time as I have not experiment with cooked dough method aka tang mian 烫面.  Since I need to do my weekly Thurs bake for my mom, this will be a good time to try out this recipe.

To entice my kids to eat, I have turned this into a Dual Coloured Golden Sponge Cake 双色黄金蛋糕 so that my son will know that there is "chocolate" in it.


Finding: The texture is soft soft and moist.  Totally love the texture.  I shall explore more on this recipe.  

Unfortunately the top of the cake cracked halfway through baking despite the low temperature.  Now I wonder why can't I get that smooth sexy top.

Nevertheless, this recipe is definitely a keeper!

Adapted

What you need:

50g butter, salted
50g cake flour
3 egg yolks (A size)
55g milk

3 egg whites (A size)
50g castor sugar
6g corn starch

1 tbsp chocolate paste

Method:

Preheat oven to 140°C. Prepare a unlined, ungreased 5” square or 6" round pan. 

Melt butter until small bubbles appear at the side of the pot.  Remove.

Immediately add in flour and stir until smooth.  Transfer to mixing bowl.

Whisk in milk well.

Add one egg yolk at a time, whisk well in each addition. 

In another bowl, mix sugar and corn starch. 

In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg white until foamy and slowly drizzling in the sugar mixture.  Whisk until stiff peaks.

Fold in ⅓ of the meringue into the egg yolk batter. 

Fold another ⅓ of the meringue and then the remaining until all well combined.

Divide batter into two portions.

Mix one portion with cocoa powder.

Pour batter into cake pan, alternating the flavours.

Bang onto counter top to release air bubbles.

Bake for 25 mins at the lowest rack.

Increase to 170°C for another 25 mins. 

Turn cake tin upside down once it is done and cool completely.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. what a coincidence, l made it a couple of times, it's one of the best of Sonia's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a very good recipe. Thanks for letting me know it belongs to Sonia's.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.