Thursday 19 January 2017

Crispy Sugar Roll

When I first tasted this Crispy Sugar Roll, it was at my aunt's house many years ago.  She told me that it is easy to make these at home.  All this years, I procrastinated but since I wanted to make things different for this year, I told myself this will be my first priority.

I got tip from a forum group but I can't recall her name.   Unlike many methods out there that uses egg white, hers uses whole egg which I totally love since I already have lots of egg whites in the freezer.  She also suggested adding butter into the egg so that the roll taste better.  For me, I can't tell now since I have never make those without butter.


Findings: I used two satay sticks to gripe the popiah edge and roll twice before I brush on the egg mixture.

You need to cool the fried rolls to light warm before coating with icing sugar to prevent the icing from melting.

Since I fried it really thoroughly, it is very crispy.

For the next round, I will try using snow sugar rather than icing sugar as our humidity is high and I hope this icing sugar won't melt down till CNY.

What you need:

550g Popiah Skin
2 eggs
2 tsp melted butter

Icing sugar (I strongly suggest using snow sugar instead of icing sugar)

Method:

Beat the egg with melted butter.

Lay one piece of the popiah skin on a clean board.

Brush the whole piece of popiah skin with the egg mixture

Using two wooden skewers, start rolling firmly into a roll.

Cut the popiah roll diagonally into small pieces.

Heat oil and lower heat to small to medium and fry until light golden brown.

Increase the heat to high and fry to golden brown.

Remove and drain.

Let it cool down to light warm before tossing with icing sugar.

Cool on kitchen towel to bloat off excess oil.

Toss more icing sugar before storing in air tight container.



Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.