Saturday 16 February 2013

Radish Cake

Initially, I wanted prepared Mom's Radish Cake for the first few days of Lunar New Year but I couldn't find radish in the supermarket there and then.  

I remembered last year, it was abundant but this year, it just ran out of stock.  Perhaps my timing was right for the restock.


I missed mom's radish cake and since she isn't around to cook it for me, I have to do it myself.


Luckily I have the recipe jotted down and had done this a few times in the past.  


This was another easy-to-do item and I can prepare a day in advance.  No stress at all.  

Hubby actually helped me to slice into smaller pieces but he got mistaken this as another type of radish cake.  The above is actually more dim sum style rather than those that are fried in dark soya sauce and turnips. 


What you need: 

907g shredded white radish (strained)
750ml water
76g Chinese sausage, chopped finely
38g dried shrimps, soaked, roasted and chopped finely
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
Pepper

For garnish:
6 shallots, sliced thinly and fried till crispy
Spring onions

Method:

Mix together to make batter 340g rice flour 2 tbsp tapioca flour 600ml water

Combine radish, fried shrimp, sausages, and water in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 mins.

Lower heat and add the batter, stir until mixture thickens

Pour the thickened mixture to a tray and steam at high heat for ½ hour (smoothen the surface with either the back of the spoon or spatula.

Test, if not cook, another further 10 mins.

Cool thoroughly before cutting.

Garnish with fried shallots and spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.