Saturday 23 August 2014

Fried Shanghai Nian Gao 炒上海年糕

My first experience with Fried Shanghai Nian Gao was a mess.  Back then, I didn't know how to cook it.  It was hard and I think I threw the whole batch out.

It was until I ate this at my friend, SL's house that I realized why I didn't do it well because of one factor.

Shanghai Nian Gao comes in dried form and you need to soak it well to soften it.  In fact, I soak it for a day before cooking.

After that, it is a breeze cooking this and it tastes just wonderful.




What you need:
Serve 3

1 packet of Shanghai Nian Gao
Meat of your choice
Leek
Minced garlic
Onion, sliced
Pork broth

Method:

Soak Shanghai Nian Gao for a day.  Changing water once.

Marinate meat with soya sauce, pepper, and sesame oil

Sliced leek

Heat wok with a little oil, sauteed onion until it is soft.  

Add in garlic and fry until fragrant.

Add in softened shanghai nian gao and add broth.

Once the broth boils, add in the meat and leek.  Stir well.  Give occasion stir while cooking.

Once the broth dried up and shanghai nian gao is soft and cooked, season with soya sauce and pepper.   (If nian gao is not cooked, add more broth and continue cooking).

Serve hot.



Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. cannot remember the last i had nian gao... this is truly one of my favourite dish.. with lots of cabbage.. yum yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I forgotten cabbage so I replaced with leek. Taste good too.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.