Monday 19 May 2014

Taro and Black Glutinous Rice Pudding 香芋紫米露

Do you like black rice aka pulut hitam?  For me, I do but I usually eat it in a boring way like those available in the dessert stall

While surfing, I found an interesting recipe and decided to give it a go as I am now introducing different Asian desserts to my kids.



Verdict: This is so good that I ate two bowls straight away.

What you need:

200g black rice
50g yam (buy those from Thailand)
1200ml water
100g coconut cream
100g fresh milk
8 tbsp sugar
20g sago

Method:

Wash black rice until water is clear.   Soak it for an hour.

Peel skin off taro, cut into small cube.  Steam until it is soft.  Set aside.

Put rice into a pot of water and bring it to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for 45 hours.

In a small saucepan, put sago into the boiling water and cook for 10 mins.  Turn off heat and let it sit for another 10 mins with lid covered.  After drain under running tap.  Set aside.

Add in taro and sago into the black rice and sweeten with sugar.

Add in fresh milk and coconut cream.  Stir until combined.

Serve either cold or hot.



Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.