Thursday 3 April 2014

Korean potato pancakes (Gamjajeon: 감자전)

When I was young, I recalled eating potato pancake often as my dad loves it.  I have tried making it before but didn't yield a pretty result as mom's.  Then I gave up.

After seeing Maangi's Gamjajeon (감자전) version, I was determined to try again as my kiddos love potatoes.

Verdict: 

Perhaps I shouldn't have added in the chives as it doesn't give out a vibrant green hue.  Also the potatoes tends to oxidise after straining it.  Thus the colour wasn't so appealing that I hope it to be.  

Due to my laziness, I didn't prepare the sauce to go with this thus taste wise, it is a little bland.   I think it will better to pair it with the sauce as recommended.  

I also do not know whether it is the type of potato that I bought, but somehow it lacks that texture that my mom's version.

Will I make this again, sure but I think I will modify it further to suit our taste.



What you need:

500 peeled potato
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup water
¼ cup chopped Asian chives
vegetable oil

Garnish

red and yellow bell pepper, slice into 1 inch strips

Sauce

2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of white vinegar
a pinch of roasted sesame seeds

Method:

Cut the peeled potato into small chunks and add to a food processor

Add water, chopped chives, and salt. Blend it well until creamy puree

Put the mixture in a strainer over a bowl to strain. Press it down with a spoon gently so that the starch water will go through the strainer.

Put the strained potato mixture in a bowl

Wait for 1 minute for the starch to sink in the bowl

Pour out the water to get the starch. Add the starch to the potato mixture and stir with a spoon.

Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat

Add a few drops of vegetable oil and spoon the mixture and place it on the pan. Spread it nicely to make about 2 inch disks. Repeat this to fill it your pan depending on your pan size.

When the bottom part starts a little light brown, turn it over. And add the garnish strips and press it in with a spatula. Cook about 1 minute until the bottom part turns golden brown. Turn it over and cook 10 seconds so that the top part won't brown.

Transfer it to a serving plate. Repeat it. You will get about 10 pancakes

Combine soy sauce, vinegar and sprinkle sesame seeds in a small bowl.

Serve hot.




I am linking this post to Asian Food Fest : Korea ( March 2014 ) hosted by Feats of Feast


Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. wow! your Korean pancake look sooo pretty and yummy! I also miss those hot and yummy pancake during my trip. Will try out your recipe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing so many -from my perspective- exotic recipes (and photographing them so lusciously). As for the oxidising potato: try a few drops of lemon juice. It should postpone discoloration for long enough so as not to interfere with aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, these look awesome!! I love korean pancake! What type of potato do you use? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.